Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Man up, boys.

Game 3 ended just moments ago, Pens 3, Wings 2. As I mentioned at the start of the series, I am conflicted. I’m becoming less so as the series continues.

See, this is the first game I’ve actually been able to watch. Believe it or not, I could not find Game 1 when I was in Seattle. It wasn’t broadcast on any of the channels I had in my hotel room. It wasn’t shown on the televisions in the bar downstairs. We even went to an awesome brewery that night and no Game 1?! They had basketball. They had poker (WTF?). They had soccer. They had no hockey. The trip was awesome. The city was awesome. The RSA conference was beyond awesome (more on that later). But I could not find hockey in the city of Seattle. Thank goodness I have such a great husband, who sent me text and cell updates.

My flight through Kansas City was delayed a bit on Monday, so I didn’t get home until after Game 2 had ended. But I’ve been hearing . . . things. About the games. About the Pens. Not so much good. Then tonight I saw it for myself. The Pens were playing dirty. Not just tough. Not just physical. They had a few moves in there that were plain uncalled for. Unsportsmanlike. Disrespectful. A damn shame.

These boys are talented, but they are looking like . . . I don’t know what. In sports, I want to see talent matched with class. Don’t laugh–class is what sets apart the champions. Champions show respect. Respect for the game. Respect for the fans. Respect for skilled opponents like the Detroit Red Wings. I’m just not seeing that right now in the Penguins. I really want them to do well, and it was great to see them play well tonight, but in Games 1 & 2 they were outplayed . . . in each game of this series, even tonight, they were seriously outclassed.

Still, I’m hoping this series goes all the way. I’ll always be a Pens fan. I’ll always be a Wings fan. But I do think the former could learn a little something from the latter.

No comments: