Thursday, June 5, 2008

So there's no use in weeping / Bear a cheerful spirit still*

CONGRATULATIONS
to the Detroit Red Wings, who clinched the Cup in Pittsburgh last night. While it would have been nice for them to take the series at home, I am glad that the City of Pittsburgh could share that moment with them. It was nice to see that many Pens fans were clapping for the Wings at the end . . . and a few even stayed for the presentation of the trophies! Truly, none are more deserving of hoisting that shiny, 35-pound symbol of victory than the Wings.

Having said that,

Congrats, too, to the Pittsburgh Penguins, who also deserve kudos for fighting to the very last tenth-of-a-second to try to tie it up. It is terrible to come so close only to lose the championship on home ice, but the Pens proved a worthy opponent comprised of fierce competitors of damn-near unparalleled talent. I can't help but have a sense that throughout the series we were witnessing the evolution of a (big-T) Team, and I will be looking forward to next season.

Thus ends my series of posts about hockey . . . but the Tour begins in only a month, and I do have that little-bitty thing called a dissertation to occupy my writing self, so I

Bear a cheerful spirit still*


and focus my attention elsewhere. Thanks to both organizations for a great series--it's been a hell of a show!






*I wonder what Charlotte Bronte, whom I doubt could ever have imagined her work appropriated thus, would have to say about the marriage of poetry and athletics?

No comments: