Friday, August 22, 2008

Crawling out of my hidey-hole . . .

well, maybe not quite yet, but between processing our garden produce (which is quite bountiful) and preparing for the Fall semester (which, perhaps somewhat ironically, I have been reading up on the pedagogical benefits and drawbacks of using blogs in the teaching of writing while surreptitiously neglecting my own blog), designing an intermediate composition course that both engages public affairs but does not, in any way, compromise academic and intellectual freedom nor displaces writing as the primary focus of the course, digging in to more dissertation work before the Fall, and preparing for my oldest, dearest friend's bridal shower and October wedding, I have woefully neglected my blog.

Not that I am complaining: to the contrary, this time of year is invigorating and exciting . . .

But back to my purpose, here (besides disrupting the illusion that I have abandoned my blog): any of you folks have experience using blogs in your teaching? Thoughts about it? Visceral reactions? I'd love to hear from ya'.

4 comments:

k8 said...

I've enjoyed it. Mine haven't been as structured as some - students write about what they are working on or what they've read for class, but I also give them a lot of "free posts."

What I like most about them is that students are interacting with each other. I require them to respond to two of their classmates and give them a teeny tiny bit of extra credit for responding to up to 4 more. A regular post of response is worth 10 points - an extra credit response is worth 1 point. It's big enough to be an incentive, and if a student misses a post it can be made up, but grades won't change drastically because of extra credit.

I know a lot of people prefer that students use a more academic/formal voice on their blogs. I don't care either way, and I've found that they really do start writing for each other and not for me.

Added bonus: less paper to haul around.

It can be hard to keep track of them if you don't have a system set up from the start. I set up a spreadsheet that I can use while I'm reading/grading. Basically, I just toggle between my browser and the spreadsheet as I'm reading. Also, I use a bloglines (you could use any feed aggregator) to keep track of when they post. While they can change the date/time on the actual blog post, bloglines will tell me when they really posted the blog.

Bradley said...

Hi Chrissy--

I nominated you for a Blog Award. If you go over to my blog, you can read all about it.

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing